November 23, 2012, 8:00 am
The holidays are such a beautiful time to enjoy the glow of Christmas lights, the warmth of fire and the smell of Christmas tree, but the OHSU effect reminds us that with every new decoration and toy, there’s a potential risk to small children and pets. Dr. Ben Hoffman, Medical Director at OHSU Doernbecher Tom Sargent Children’s Safety Center, highlights a couple key things that sometimes get overlooked.
Check through all of your lights to make sure there are no loose bulbs, frayed wires or broken bulbs. Button batteries are especially dangerous for kids, because if swallowed, they continuously discharge, and can cause serious internal burns in the stomach and intestines.
Even though your child may ask for one Bucky Balls are not a safe gift for children. They’ve been associated with thousands of injuries to kids who have swallowed them. Bucky Balls have discontinued production due to these concerns, but there will still be many sets out there.
Watch your toddlers with an extra eye to Christmas tablecloths—curious kids may pull hot liquid or food down by tugging on dangling tablecloths and remember, any of the rules that apply to small children also apply to pets.
For more on the OHSU effect and keeping your family safe this holiday season, head to the Doernbecher Children’s Hospital blog.
Have a safe and healthy Holiday season.