1. Central Loop Grand Opening Run. The Portland Streetcar celebrations will start at Saturday at 10:00AM with a Press Event and speeches at the OMSI Plaza. Service will begin by 11:00AM and the departure of the first, ceremonial train. The Central Loop will connect with the existing streetcar on 10th & 11th in Downtown Portland. From there it will cross the Broadway Bridge traveling along Broadway, Weidler, 7th, MLK and Grand connecting to the Rose Quarter, Lloyd District, Oregon Convention Center, the Central Eastside Industrial District and OMSI. More HERE.
2. Homegrown Music in Action. Start with the new rom-com indie film Hello I Must Be Going opening at Fox Tower tonight. About a 19 year old guy who falls for a 35 year old recent divorcee. Wonderful film in all the small ways that count with all the actors offering lived-in performances. But the real eye catcher (and ear catcher!) is the soundtrack. Portland's own Laura Veirs! Laura will be playing a 3 song set at Fox Tower at 7 pm Friday night before the film opens. Laura collaborates with illustrator Carson Ellis, as you can tell from Laura's cover art. And THAT brings us to...
The Decemberist's Colin Meloy and Carson Ellis. Volume two of their beguiling young adult book series is done. Catch a reading at The Bagdad Theatre Sunday at 4pm. You get a copy of Under Wildwood with your admission!
The movie trailer and an interview with Colin, below the 5.
3. Feast Portland. Food thinker Mark Bittman opened the Feast fest last night with an inspiring and thoughtful talk about the "Future of Food" and the politics of food. (A tax on soda? Moving to a plant-based diet?) Now to the eating portion of the Feast. There's a LOT going on through Sunday. Navigate your way with the help of the calendar HERE.
4. Industry&Art. Introduce yourself to glimpse of life perhaps unlike your own in any way through the work of more than 30 professional artists. This year’s exhibit seeks to create awareness for the Pacific Northwest’s unique, often hidden, industrial culture. More HERE.
5. 2012 DSNO Buddy Walk. Join Down Syndrome Network Oregon for the 10th Annual Buddy Walk® on Sunday, September 23. Come out to Millennium Plaza Park in Lake Oswego for a half mile walk with hundreds of other supporters. Your participation will raise awareness and funds for Down syndrome.
I can promise you will be inspired and getting a deeper understanding of the mantra: MORE ALIKE THAN DIFFERENT. I got to know Cam Lasley a few years ago when he went by the musical moniker Laz D. He has a new album coming out in November. We talked about his creative process, and why he named the album Against These Walls. Listen to our conversation below and don't miss a song off the new album at the end of the convo.