Sheila's Music Lowdown
August 29, 2011, 8:05 am
Good morning, it’s a Monday with tons of great music news to celebrate the waning days of summer.
To celebrate the 20th anniversary of Nirvana's Nevermind Album September 24, Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic will sit down with the Daily Show’s Jon Stewart for a two hour interview. The former band members and Stewart will look back t the making of the classic album. The chat will be broadcast at 8:00 p.m. on Sirius XM. Note of Hope: A Celebration of Woody Guthrie
Universal will also release a deluxe edition of the 1991 album in various formats (2-disc CD, heavyweight vinyl, and box set) on September 27. Certain versions of the set will include audio and video of an October 31, 1991 show from Seattle, WA's Paramount Theater, rough boombox recordings, and "The Devonshire Mixes," the album as originally produced and mixed by Vig. Novoselic is also leading a Nevermind tribute concert on September 20 in Seattle.
Woody Guthrie would have turned 100 next July. Plenty of top notch musicians are paying tribute including Lou Reed Tom Morello, Jackson Brown, Wilco, and My Morning Jacket’s Jim James.
Note of Hope: A Celebration of Woody Guthrie
is the first to mark the occasion, and will be released on September 27 by 429 Records. Grateful Dead and Ratdog bassist Rob Wasserman is leading the charge and will collaborate on all tracks. The contributors will be setting new music to lost Guthrie lyrics, which were discovered by Woody’s daughter, Nora.
Note of Hope Tracklisting:
1. Van Dyke Parks, "The Note of Hope"
2. "Madeleine Peyroux, "Wild Card in the Hole"
3. Tom Morello, "Ease My Revolutionary Mind"
4. Lou Reed, "The Debt I Owe"
5. Michael Franti, "Union Love Juice"
6. Kurt Elling, "Peace Pin Boogie"
7. Ani DiFranco, "Voice"
8. Studs Terkel, "I Heard a Man Talking"
9. Nellie McKay, "Old Folks"
10. Chris Whitley, "On the High Lonesome"
11. Pete Seeger and Tony Trischka, "There's a Feeling in Music"
12. Jackson Browne, "You Know the Night"
Whoah, The Decemberists sure know how to go out on top. Colin Meloy is going to concentrate on writing and promoting his new children’s book, “Wildwood, “ while Conlee, Funk and Query will restart the bluegrass and string band Black Prairie. For the lucky Egdgefield few, Friday night’s concert was as final gift from the Decemberists for a while.The final Setlists
Thursday, Aug. 25
1. The Infanta
2. The Sporting Life
3. Calamity Song
4. Down By The Water w/Peter Buck
5. Billy Liar
6. Apology Song
7. Here I Dreamt I Was An Architect
8. Won’t Want For Love (Margaret In the Taiga)
9. This I Swear
10. This Is Why We Fight
11. 16 Military Wives
12. O Valencia! (with Dracula’s Daughter)
13. The Tain
14. The Mariner’s Revenge Song
15. June Hymn
Friday, Aug. 26
1. The Island
2. Calamity Song
3. Down By The Water w/Peter Buck
4. Rise To Me
5. Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then) w/Laura Veirs
6. The Bagman’s Gambit
7. The Soldiering Life
8. The Sporting Life
9. The Rake’s Song
10. Rox In The Box
11. 16 Military Wives
12. The Chimbley Sweep
13. The Raincoat Song
14. Mariner’s Revenge Song
15. I Was Meant For The Stage